While it might not be the top in the market, YouTube Shorts still has a significant number of users. Just like how Instagram did with Reels, the algorithm always fancies the new feature, it won't be a better time to jump into this new form of content creation whether you're a Podcaster, Youtuber, Writer or simply a content creator.
What are YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts are vertical videos that are 60 seconds or less. They are uploaded directly to YouTube from the YouTube app, like Instagram Reels. Inside Youtube's own app, comes its built-in creation tool, where content creators can capture, edit, and add music to short-form videos.
Are YouTube Shorts easy to make?
There are 2 major struggles for content creators to YouTube Shorts creation, especially if you're not familiar with video format:
While shooting YouTube shorts seems simple, it's not always true. You need to know about the best angles, cuts, effects, etc. You need to maintain the ratio of close-up and distant shots.
On the other hand, editing YouTube Shorts seems hard but can be made easy with the right tools.
To make it easy for creators, you could use content-creating tools - like video editing studio suite software to create content, then directly upload to YouTube, just like people used to edit their photographs on VSCO before uploading to Instagram itself. Even YouTube provides all the necessary tools to edit your YouTube shorts.
However, they don't provide one feature - to create a YouTube Short out of an Audio.
How to Create YouTube Shorts with Audio on Jupitrr?
If you want a more thorough tutorial on how to create Youtube Shorts on Jupitrr? Here you go!
Step 1: Sign up or Log in to Jupitrr (Google login is easier!)
Step 2: Upload your avatar and name (That will be useful later on the video!)
Step 3: Upload your audio recording
Step 4: Design your video (Select from templates, Customise colour)
Step 5: Edit the subtitle and the style (Karaoke-style, line by line, pick what you want!)
Step 6: Add your social handle/URL as the call-to-action (make sure people who see your video know where to find you for more)
Step 7: Hit "Generate" and Done!
How to make Thumbnails for YouTube Shorts?
There are a couple of ways to make thumbnails for YouTube Shorts, depending on whether you want to use a scene from your video or create a custom one:
Using a scene from your video:
- Upload your Short: Begin by uploading your Short as you normally would through the YouTube app or Studio.
- Select the Thumbnail: Before hitting "Upload Short," look for the pencil icon in the top left corner (mobile) or the Thumbnail option below the video preview (desktop).
- Choose a Frame: Use the frame selector to scroll through your video and pick the best moment to represent your content. Look for a clear, eye-catching, and representative scene.
- Confirm and Upload: Once you've chosen your frame, tap "Done" (mobile) or select "Set thumbnail" (desktop) and proceed with uploading your Short.
Creating a custom thumbnail:
- Design your thumbnail: Use a graphic design tool like Canva, Photoshop, or even your phone's photo editor to create an eye-catching image that encapsulates your YouTube Short's message.
- Size and format: Make sure your thumbnail is in 9:16 format and ideally sized 1280x720 pixels for optimal display.
- Include key elements: Feature clear text explaining your video content, along with any relevant branding or visuals.
- Export and upload: Save your thumbnail as a high-quality image (PNG or JPEG) and upload it during the Shorts upload process. On mobile, look for the "Custom thumbnail" option after selecting the pencil icon. On the desktop, choose "Upload custom thumbnail" under the Thumbnail option.
Tips for creating YouTube Shorts Thumbnail:
- Make sure your thumbnail is good to go. Double-check it before posting the YouTube shorts because you can only choose your thumbnail before uploading your Short. Once it's live, you cannot change it.
- Thumbnails are a crucial part of your Short. They significantly impact click-through rates, so invest time in creating an engaging and informative one.
- For better thumbnail optimization, consider adding a YouTube Shorts icon or a branded background color to your thumbnail.
How to Add Audio to YouTube Shorts?
If you have a video for your YouTube Shorts but want to add audio to it, you can do that easily. There are four main ways to add audio to your YouTube shorts:
Using the YouTube Audio Library:
- Open the Youtube app and head to the Shorts creation screen.
- Tap the "Add Sound" button (music note icon) below the record button.
- Choose from the various options:
- Top sounds: Browse currently trending sounds used in Shorts.
- Search: Find specific songs or sound effects by name.
- Moods: Discover sounds categorized by mood (upbeat, funny, etc.).
- Once you find the desired sound, tap "Use this sound" to record your Short with it in the background.
- You can adjust the sound's starting point using the "Trim" tool before recording.
Adding your own audio:
- Record your Short without any sound.
- After recording, tap the "Edit" button.
- Tap the "Sound" button (music note icon) again.
- Select "Upload" and choose the audio file from your device (MP3 or WAV format).
- You can edit the audio using the "Trim" tool to fit your Short's duration.
Using an external editing app:
- Record your Short without sound.
- Import your footage and desired audio into a video editing app (e.g., InShot, KineMaster).
- Edit the audio and video together, ensuring proper sync and volume levels.
- Export the final video with the added audio.
- Upload the edited video to YouTube Shorts.
Using other Shorts' audio:
- Find a Short with audio you like.
- Tap the "Sound" button (music note icon) below the Short.
- Tap "Use this sound" to record your own Short using the same audio.
Tips for adding audio to YouTube Shorts:
- Copyright restrictions can apply. Using copyrighted music without permission can lead to claims or takedowns. Ensure you use royalty-free music or have proper licensing for used songs.
- YouTube Shorts have a maximum duration of 60 seconds. Choose audio that fits within this limit or edit it accordingly.
- Experiment with different sound options and editing techniques to create engaging and impactful Shorts.
What topics should I create for YouTube Shorts?
Well, this is a common question for all content creator beginners. And the way to figure it out is easy.
- Figure out why you want to create content - for fun or for your business/career.
- Find out your niche - what you are good at and like to share.
- Test out different formats - what's the best way to consume your content?
- Iterate 2. and 4 till you find a great fit
Make YouTube Shorts that last. A lot of content on social media nowadays has a short life span - a fun meme that has been viral for 3 days and is gone.
Insightful content usually has a longer view time value - Stuff like how to create a personal website would generate way more traffic over the course of time than Today's news.
Rule of thumb: Make it easy to start, and start.
YouTube Shorts are a great way to create your following on YouTube. With people having lesser and lesser attention spans every day these days, you can cater to that audience and go viral as well.
If you want to create YouTube shorts that stand out, try adding some B-rolls to it and great music as well.
FAQs on YouTube Shorts
Q: When was YouTube Shorts created?
A: YouTube Shorts were launched in beta in September 2020 and fully released in July 2021.
Q: How to make reels from YouTube videos?
A: Unfortunately, you cannot directly convert YouTube videos to Instagram Reels. Consider downloading the video and using a separate editing app to create a Reel that fits the format. Once downloaded, you can use a tool like Jupitrr to make it fit YouTube Shorts format.
Q: How to make thumbnails for YouTube Shorts?
A: Choose a scene from your video during upload or you can create a custom design with text and visuals using a graphic design tool.