🎙️ The next decade will witness a significant surge in podcasting.
What is the Future of Podcasting? Podcasting's popularity hit after the pandemic as well as the popularization of Tiktok and Instagram Reels.
Future of Podcasting is about bite-sized content, and shareable video formats.
Studies show that the number of active podcasts and available episodes are continuing to climb, with over 2 million podcasts and over 48 million episodes available as of 2021 (Podcast Insights, 2021).
A faster growth rate is also seen in people who listen to podcasts according to Statista. 41% of Americans responded they have listened to a podcast just in the past month. The future of podcasting - how fast will it further grow? 👀
As more people seek out engaging and convenient forms of entertainment and information, it's no surprise that podcasting is becoming increasingly popular.
In this blog, we are going to share with you the biggest future podcasting trends and how to equip yourselves now.
BTW, if you're interested to leverage the AI technology to create stunning video in clicks, check this out!
📣 Future Podcasting Trends You Have to Know
1. Creators have more control over their audience
In the future, podcasting will be more about keeping your own user data.
With the rise of platforms like Substack and Ghost, creators, not limited to writers, now have the tool to directly collect and manage information from their listeners.
Having ownership of your own email list is essential in the recent 2-3 years. This opens up new opportunities for targeted marketing and audience engagement. Creators can even sell their own products or subscription items to the same batch of audiences.
2. Private podcasting with a subscription model
As the trend of subscription-based content continues to grow, it's likely that more podcasters in the future will adopt private podcasting.
It offers an opportunity for podcasters to speak about special topics that they do not wish to make too public - e.g personal stories, sensitive topics, secrets to success. Podcasters can invite their subscribers and interact with them too.
Platforms like Patreon allow podcasters to create exclusive content and experiences for their most dedicated listeners.
3. Short-form audio
The popularity of short-form content on platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels has paved the way for shorter podcasts as well.
However, creators cannot upload audio onto social media, that's why 'Audiogram Videos' have taken a big hit recently. In the future, podcast creators will be more used to making audiogram videos and share on social media.
4. Social media as a distribution or hosting channel
Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter are currently focused on visuals more than audio.
In the future, instead of hosting on RSS feed, uploading a shareable video onto social media would be more common, as it can greatly enhance your reach to non-podcast audience. It could help expand the reach of podcasts and bring podcasters to a whole new audience.
👉🏻 Try making one for yourself with Jupitrr!
5. Podcasts as a means of marketing for companies
As podcasting continues to grow in popularity, more companies are starting to see the value in using podcasts as a marketing tool. For example, in Sweden and Spain, over 40% of the interviewers responded that they have listened to a podcast in the past month.
In fact, a recent study from Statista found that companies that use podcasts for marketing report a higher return on investment compared to other forms of content marketing. The future of podcasting is podcast marketing.
6. Podcasts as a communication method in companies
A recent survey found that 70% of companies are already using or plan to use podcasts for internal communication. With the rise of remote work, podcasts offer a convenient and engaging way for teams to stay connected and informed.
James Mulvany, the Youtube Podcasting Guru, mentioned that internal podcasts help the sender gets more attention from the receiver since there is less competition for attention outside the textual format on Slack and Emails.
The future trend of podcasting lies also within the internal communication of companies.
🎒 5 Tips for You on the Future of Podcasting
- Always have an email list of your audience: a key to building strong relationships and promoting your content across different formats effectively. Try to use products such as Substack.
- Interact more with your power users or audience: Engage with your listeners regularly, know what they want more from you. Being interactive also makes your audience feel they have your attention.
- Try short-form video podcasts: Experiment with shorter, bite-sized audio content in both podcast and video formats. This format is well-suited for social media and can help you reach new audiences.
- Distribute on 5 social media channels: Don't just pick one or two at first. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment. Then, narrow down to the ones that perform best for you.
- Build your audience as early as possible: Building an audience takes time, so start early and focus on consistently producing high-quality content. Growing your audience has a multiplier effect, remember also to take advantage of the organic reach of new platforms like Instagram Reels.
🏃🏼♂️ Act Now and Get Ahead of Others!
Podcasting is set to become even more popular in the next decade.
Always take advantage of a platform / medium before it gets too crowded. For podcasting, it's the perfect moment to start now - showed early sign of growth but is still in its early stage.
We hope this article has been informative and helpful. Happy podcasting!
What are you waiting for? ⏳
Thousands of audio creators are already using Jupitrr to upload their audio to Instagram. Don't miss out and try it out today!
Wondering how to create what's the best way to create audio content for Instagram? Check out our guide on audiograms.